There are no extra security restrictions outside of what you'd find on a normal Android TV app. The only differences are you cannot root the device and there is no super user access.
Frequently Asked Questions
AT&T TV FAQs
What Services and Libraries are already on the device, and can I add more if needed?
All main Android TV libraries are accessible. They are all listed within the settings screen.
You can check out the Android TV developers page for more info:
What debugging and analytics tools can I access?
If you’re using ADB, then you can utilize ADB debugging:
Or you can use log cat:
If I’m making a media player app, what should I use?
We highly recommend using ExoPlayer:
How do I get my app on the device?
- Turn on developer options by opening the system summary screen on your device (Settings > System > General > System Summary)
- Press OK on your remote 7 times. You should get a message stating that you're now a developer!
- In the same "System: General" menu, scroll all the way down to the bottom. You'll now see a Developer Options section, which should already be turned on.
- Scroll down and select "Force allow apps on external"
- You can now use ADB to upload your apps to the device.
If you need more info on how to use ADB, go here:
How do I see the new app on the Home screen?
If you follow the requirements for Android TV home screen, then you’re good to go!